I am taking some time off to rest and focus on my freelance writing. I will resume teaching, speaking, and leading retreats in 2022. I look forward to seeing you soon!
A writing retreat is a great time to work and connect with other writers in a supportive atmosphere. My retreats usually last several hours, giving you plenty of time to focus on your writing.
No critiquing is involved, and beginners are welcome.
I offer prompts that you can use as writing jump-starts if you choose. You’re also welcome to come and work on a project of your own.
Participants are encouraged but never required to share their writings with the group.
I lead one-day retreats on Saturdays a few times a year, at locations throughout the Edmond/North OKC metro area. Most people bring snacks to share, and I guarantee that even starving poets won’t starve.
I am not currently teaching. I’ll be back in 2022. If you’re interested in in-person classes, please check out the other great writing courses at Francis Tuttle Technology Center.
I normally offer two short-term classes through Francis Tuttle Technology Center at the OKC Rockwell Campus.
The Joy of Writing
This six-week course will help you find your creative voice and get the words flowing. In-class exercises and optional homework assignments give you plenty of chances to stretch your wings. If you wish, you’ll also have the opportunity to share your work with the class, but this is never required. Beginning and experienced writers in all genres are welcome.
Getting Started on a Poem
Move from blank page to first draft, using in-class exercises that have helped hundreds of poets find their voices. You will leave class with the beginnings of at least two poems, and you’ll learn techniques for generating more poems on your own.
View class details at francistuttle.edu. Click “Course Offerings” then “Adult & Career Development.” Writing classes are listed under “Creative Arts.” Sign up by phone at 405-717-4900.
Readings and Presentations
- Workshop, “Dwelling on Details,” Central Region Oklahoma Writers, 2022, dates TBD
- Poetry Readings, Shawnee, OK and Tidewater Winery (Drumright, OK), 2022, dates TBD
- “Turbocharge Your Writing: Boosting Speed and Productivity,” Oklahoma Romance Writers Guild, June 2021
- “Publishing Your Poetry” and “Loving Your Limitations,” Oklahoma Writers’ Federation Conference, May 2021
- Workshop, “Conquering the Blank Page,” Altus Public Library, July 2, 2019
- Keynote Address, “Loving Your Limitations,” Poetry Society of Oklahoma Summer Workshop, July 13, 2019
Need a Presenter or Reader?
I’ve given poetry readings throughout the OKC area. I’ve spoken about poetry and writing to several groups, including Oklahoma City Writers, Midwest City Writers, the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, Poetry Society of Oklahoma, and more. I’d love to speak to your group. Contact me to schedule.
Sample Presentation Topics:
- Dwelling on Details: Using Sensory Images in Your Writing
- How to Keep Writing When You’d Rather Not
- Loving Your Limitations: How to Work Within Limits, Not Against Them
- Writing Contests: What Judges Look For
- 5 Self-Publishing Mistakes to Avoid
- Sales and Promotion for Shy Writers